What license do I need for a truck in South Africa?

The specific license you need for a truck in South Africa depends on the Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) of the truck, which is its total weight when fully loaded. Here’s a breakdown:

Licenses for light and medium trucks:

  • Code 8: This license is required for light motor vehicles with a GVM of not more than 3 500 kg (7,716 lbs). This category includes most pickup trucks and smaller delivery vehicles.

Licenses for heavy motor vehicles:

  • Code 10: This license is needed for heavy motor vehicles with a GVM exceeding 3 500 kg (7,716 lbs) but not exceeding 16 000 kg (35,274 lbs). This category covers a wider range of trucks, including larger delivery vehicles, dump trucks, and some construction vehicles.
  • Code C: This license is required for heavy motor vehicles exceeding 16 000 kg (35,274 lbs). This category encompasses the largest trucks, including articulated vehicles (tractor-trailers) and heavy haulage vehicles.

Additional considerations:

  • Learner’s license: Before obtaining any of the above licenses, you need to apply for and pass a learner’s license test.
  • Professional Driving Permit (PrDP): In addition to the relevant driver’s license, drivers transporting goods for income might require a Professional Driving Permit (PrDP). The specific PrDP category depends on the type of vehicle and goods being transported.

Here are some resources for further information:

Remember, it’s crucial to verify the latest information and requirements with the South African National Traffic Department or a qualified driving school to ensure you obtain the correct license for your specific needs.